BizStore » Books » Guyland: The Perilous World Where Boys Become Men
Edition: 1 Reprint
Item Dimensions: Array
Label: Harper Perennial
Manufacturer: Harper Perennial
MPN: black & white illustrations
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 352
Publication Date: 2009-10-13
Publisher: Harper Perennial
Release Date: 2009-10-13
Studio: Harper Perennial
The passage from adolescence to adulthood was once clear. Today, growing up has become more complex and confusing, as young men drift casually through college and beyond—hanging out, partying, playing with tech toys, watching sports. But beneath the appearance of a simple extended boyhood, a more dangerous social world has developed, far away from the traditional signposts and cultural signals that once helped boys navigate their way to manhood—a territory Michael Kimmel has identified as "Guyland."
In mapping the troubling social world where men are now made, Kimmel offers a view into the minds and times of America's sons, brothers, and boyfriends, and he works toward redefining what it means to be a man today—and tomorrow. Only by understanding this world and this life stage can we enable young men to chart their own paths, stay true to themselves, and emerge safely from Guyland as responsible and fully formed male adults.
• Angry White Men: American Masculinity at the End of an Era
• Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture
• Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture
• The Macho Paradox: Why Some Men Hurt Women and and How All Men Can Help
• Women's Lives: Multicultural Perspectives
• Manhood in America: A Cultural History
• Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions
• Sex Trafficking: The Global Market in Women and Children (Contemporary Social Issues)
• The Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy 3rd Ed.