BizStore » Books » In Praise of Slowness: Challenging the Cult of Speed (Plus)
Brand: Honore, Carl
Format: Deckle Edge
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 321
Publication Date: 2005-09-06
Release Date: 2005-09-06
We live in the age of speed. We strain to be more efficient, to cram more into each minute, each hour, each day. Since the Industrial Revolution shifted the world into high gear, the cult of speed has pushed us to a breaking point. Consider these facts: Americans on average spend seventy-two minutes of every day behind the wheel of a car, a typical business executive now loses sixty-eight hours a year to being put on hold, and American adults currently devote on average a mere half hour per week to making love.
Living on the edge of exhaustion, we are constantly reminded by our bodies and minds that the pace of life is spinning out of control. In Praise of Slowness traces the history of our increasingly breathless relationship with time and tackles the consequences of living in this accelerated culture of our own creation. Why are we always in such a rush? What is the cure for time sickness? Is it possible, or even desirable, to slow down? Realizing the price we pay for unrelenting speed, people all over the world are reclaiming their time and slowing down the pace - and living happier, healthier, and more productive lives as a result. A Slow revolution is taking place.
Here you will find no Luddite calls to overthrow technology and seek a preindustrial utopia. This is a modern revolution, championed by cell-phone using, e-mailing lovers of sanity. The Slow philosophy can be summed up in a single word - balance. People are discovering energy and efficiency where they may have been least expected - in slowing down.
In this engaging and entertaining exploration, award-winning journalist and rehabilitated speedaholic Carl Honoré details our perennial love affair with efficiency and speed in a perfect blend of anecdotal reportage, history, and intellectual inquiry.
• The Zen of Listening: Mindful Communication in the Age of Distraction
• The Discovery of Slowness
• The Slow Fix: Solve Problems, Work Smarter, and Live Better in a World Addicted to Speed
• Search Inside Yourself: The Unexpected Path to Achieving Success, Happiness (and World Peace)
• The Time Paradox: The New Psychology of Time That Will Change Your Life
• A Writer's Resource (comb-version) Student Edition
• Take Back Your Time: Fighting Overwork and Time Poverty in America
• The Slow Professor: Challenging the Culture of Speed in the Academy
• Bolder: Making the Most of Our Longer Lives
• Under Pressure: Rescuing Our Children from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting