BizStore » Books » Wellington: The Iron Duke
Edition: New Ed
Item Dimensions: Array
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 416
Publication Date: 2003-02-03
Release Date: 2003-02-03
Richard Holmes, highly acclaimed military historian and broadcaster, tells the exhilarating story of Britain’s greatest-ever soldier, the man who posed the most serious threat to Napoleon. The Duke of Wellington’s remarkable life and extraordinary campaigns are recreated with Holmes’ superb skill in this compelling book.
Richard Holmes charts Wellington’s stellar military career from India to Europe, and in the process, rediscovers the reasons Queen Victoria called him the greatest man the nineteenth century had produced. Combining his astute historical analysis with a semi-biographical examination of Wellington, Holmes artfully illustrates the rapid evolution in military and political thinking of the time.
Wellington is a brilliant figure, idealistic in politics, cynical in love, a wit, a beau, a man of enormous courage often sickened by war. As Richard Holmes charts his progress from a shy, indolent boy to commander-in-chief of the allied forces, he also exposes the Iron Duke as a philanderer, and a man who sometimes despised the men that he led, and was not always in control of his soldiers. Particularly infamous is the bestial rampage of his men after the capture of Cuidad Rodgrigo and Badajoz.
THE IRON DUKE is a beautifully produced book, complete with stunning illustrations and colour plates. Richard Holmes’ TV series to accompany THE IRON DUKE will be lavishly constructed in four parts, and filmed on location in Britain, India, Spain, Portugal, France and Belgium.
• Napoleon: A Life
• Waterloo: The History of Four Days, Three Armies, and Three Battles
• Wellington: Waterloo and the Fortunes of Peace 1814–1852
• The Life of Horatio Lord Nelson
• Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766
• The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914
• Washington: A Life
• Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy, 1945-1975
• Sharpe's Eagle (Richard Sharpe's Adventure Series #2)
• Sharpe's Gold: Richard Sharpe and the Destruction of Almeida, August 1810 (#9)